22 June 2010

Bye bye Bloglines -- v.o.a.

I no longer use Bloglines to read my RSS feeds.

So many times, their service is unavailable.  Certain feeds no longer work with their service.  They have changed from the service I began with.  They no longer trust their users; I have to verify I am a human at every login.  Many of the posts contain advertisements for an Ask.com web search.  In some cases, Bloglines starts an endless loop when I try to subscribe to a feed or view the website that originates a feed.  For certain summaries, Bloglines stops at the first period (full stop) followed by a space ; if the article talks about St. Louis, the summary will stop after the St.

I exported my list to Google Reader and have had no trouble.  Certain feeds that I thought were dead are working again.  Those that are working are updated more rapidly.  My only issue at this point is that it is harder to save items with GoogleReader than it was with Bloglines.

I read the comments in praise of Bloglines and found none more recent than 2004.  Neither the FAQ nor TOS indicated how to terminate the service, only that it was possible.  That's what the Contact Us... is for, I guess.


No comments: